How do I stop WhatsApp from sharing my information with Facebook? There are two ways!
In 2014, Facebook bought WhatsApp for a whopping $21.8 billion. whatsApp users everywhere went, “Oh, no. This can’t be good.” That feeling has finally come to fruition in that whatsApp will now start sharing your information with Facebook – including your phone number.
If you don’t want Facebook getting ahold of your whatsApp info, you can opt out in one of two ways.
How to opt out of sharing your WhatsApp information with Facebook in the whatsApp terms of service:
When WhatsApp updates, you’ll have to agree to its terms of service all over again, but before you tap agree, you can read more and opt out of sharing your information.
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or the app drawer./
- Tap the upward arrow in the bottom right corner to read more.
- Tap the checkbox to opt out of sharing your information with Facebook.
Launch whatsApp, tap the upward arrow to read more, tap the checkbox.
If you go looking for the Share my account data option in your settings afterward, it won’t be there, since you’ve already opted out.
How to opt out of sharing your WhatsApp information with Facebook if you’ve already agreed to the new terms of service:
If you’ve already tapped “Agree”, you can still opt out:
- Launch WhatsApp from your home screen or the app drawer.
- Tap the more button in the top right corner. It looks like three vertical dots.
- Tap Settings
- Tap Account
- Tap the checkbox next to Share my account info.
Now you’re opted out and Facebook isn’t getting your phone number, and won’t share any information with its parent company to influence the ads you see.